- Oki will address the challenge of delivering a sustainable future in the BTR industry
- RIBA’s youngest ever President-Elect will share his personal vision
- Additional panellists will include IKEA Group UK & IE’s Sustainability Manager, Greg Lucas, Amro Partners’ Director of Sustainability and ESG, Elisabetta Li Destri Nicosia and Legal & General’s Investment Senior Asset Manager, Built to Rent, Nisha Kerai
UKAA (the UK Apartment Association) has announced Muyiwa Oki as the lead sustainability keynote speaker for the Annual Build to Rent Conference and Industry Awards 2022, which will take place on 15th November 2022 in London.
The membership organisation for Build to Rent (BTR) in the UK, UKAA’s annual conference is known for delivering a laser focus on the challenges and opportunities the industry faces. COP27 will be in progress during the UKAA Annual BTR Conference making the sustainability keynote session all the more pertinent.
Oki will lead the conference’s session on delivering a sustainable future for the BTR industry. An architect with a passion for driving cultural change and promoting social mobility, Oki is RIBA’s youngest ever President-Elect. He took up the position on 1st September 2022 and is due to take over the two-year presidency from current post-holder Simon Allford on 1st September 2023. His career has seen him work on major infrastructure projects including HS2 Euston and the North London heat and power project.
At the UKAA Annual BTR Conference, Oki will speak with key representatives of the industry, examining ways in which BTR has already pioneered new ways of living. He will discuss the UK’s Net-Zero Carbon obligations and growing environmental, social and governance (ESG) pressure, considering how the industry must address sustainability issues now to prepare for future generations.
Oki will be joined by other emerging leaders from within the Build to Rent industry, including IKEA Group UK & IE’s Sustainability Manager, Greg Lucas, Amro Partners’ Director of Sustainability and ESG, Elisabetta Li Destri Nicosia and Legal & General’s Investment Senior Asset Manager, Built to Rent, Nisha Kerai. The group will deliver a range of perspectives, including:
- Has the old leadership failed? Do we need a changing of the guard?
- Changing requirements of capital markets, how will they respond to Net-zero carbon obligations?
- Changing expectations of customers.
- Emerging strategies to deal with reducing carbon in use and embodied carbon.
- The rise of ESG and its impact on development, how will this impact on the design, delivery, and operation of buildings?
- The housing crisis and need to provide more affordable homes, BTR is not exempt from this obligation.
- Practical steps for the industry
“I can think of nobody better than Muyiwa Oki to deliver a powerful and honest vision for the future when it comes to sustainability in the Build to Rent industry. There is no time to delay when it comes to effecting real, rapid change in BTR – this is one of the most important challenges that the industry must rise to if we are going to deliver a product in which we can take pride.”
Brendan Geraghty, CEO, UKAA
The UKAA Annual BTR Conference & Industry Awards 2022 will take place at Etc Venues, 133 Houndsditch, Liverpool St, London EC3A 7BX on Tuesday 15th November 2022 from 8am, with a headline theme of: The Pursuit of Excellence.
For more information and tickets (available to UKAA Members and non-Members), please visit https://ukaa.org.uk/event/ukaa-annual-conference-dinner-2022/.